Saturday, February 12, 2011

"But I learned a lesson long ago, old friends can't be replaced" -The Lost Trailers



Tower Bridge with SUN!
Ann with the London Eye 
I had my very first visitor in London and it was an excellent one!ANNIE LEE came to London with her 3 roommates from Florence. It was so so so good to see her. Besides spending elementary, middle and high school together, we also spent every summer together since 6th grade until last summer and many jokes with Mrs. Lee. It was the perfect dose of home. I haven't gotten homesick (or Elonsick) at all but I always miss DS and the people that come with it.

Cleo!
I met up with them outside of Buckingham and then visited a bunch of sites I had yet to do. We started with adouble-decker bus tour all around the city of Westminster and London followed by a 3 pound lunch of fish n chips at the Sherlock Holmes pub. The fish n chips weren't as good as my first go-round, but the company was terrific. My favorite part of the day was when we crossed the Tower Bridge just as the sun came out!

Following the late lunch we went to the British Museum to look through theAmericas and Ancient Egypt exhibit. I finally found Cleopatra and the Rosetta Stone! I've unknowingly passed Cleo a couple times now (I always end up in the mummies) but never stopped to read her caption because her glass case is always surrounded byChinese tourists. Actually most things in London are surrounded byChinese tourists. 

Annie and me at Harrods
We got back on the tube to go toHyde Park and wander around for a bit in the dark. We looked for Peter Pan and the Diana Memorial, but it was so dark for all we know we walked right by it. Or they were surrounded by Chinese tourists.

The next stop was Harrods. I'm still overwhelmed. I thought it was a glorified Walmart minus the usual crowd (refer to People of Walmart) I do my Saturday grocery shopping with in Burlington, NC.  I had no idea that I was going to see an Egyptian themed escalator, decorated with glitter and gold. And the BAGS. And the PERFUME. And the CHOCOLATE. When I go back with my little fashionista (aka roommate who triple checks my outfit before leaving the flat to make sure the people of London won't hang, draw and quarter me for fashion crimes)*** we'll be going to visit the wedding dresses. Too many hours ofSay Yes to the Dress have procrastinated my homework not to. A hidden gem is the Diana and Dodi Memorial on the ground floor. It is a glass of wine, smudged by Diana and an engagement ring reportedly bought by Dodi. The memorial was erected by Dodi's father, Mohammed Fayed, who once owned Harrods.

On a whim I decided to join the girls at Dirty Dancing and found an "obstructed view" ticket for 15 pounds. Wasn't obstructed and with a 1-pound purchase of binoculars (to see some acting) I saw the whole show flawlessly. Unfortunately I would need a microscope to find the acting in the show (remind me when the father of Baby became John Wayne and Baby's heart must have been relying on the same beat she used the entire time) but the dancing was incredible and worth it. Overall the show was a fun time and if you love the movie, you'll love the show. Interestingly neither Johnny nor Baby sing the entire show, but the two actors who sang all the familiars song stole the show (actually Johnny's abs stole the show, but I'll leave myself some artistic credibility).


***Coming from Elon I should be used to pearls at the gym, sundresses at the football game and 7:30 a.m. wake up calls to look flawless for 10:30 a.m. class HOWEVER the people of London have taken it the next level...they're not walking the platform of the Tube, they're walking the runway. And of course in Tyra-fashion there is no smiling. More on this to follow.  I've discovered their secret.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love this! I'm so glad you had a friend from home visit! That's always the best, because let's be honest, who really gets homesick to go home? You really just want everyone from home to go to you!

    Please have someone film you strutting your London style along the Tube Platform. I HAVE TO SEE THIS :)

    ReplyDelete