Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Get your ass to class" - Sean Pigott, History Teacher Extraordinaire

“Oh my days that’s a wicked crown. I’m buying that on e-Bay bruv.” - a dashing young fella in a sweater vest with collared white shirt and pressed blue pants referring to the Ancient Egyptian gold-plated leaf crown

Who said I wasn’t dealing with a foreign language? This charmer was one of about 200 school-age children spending their Tuesday afternoon in the British Museum with yours truly. 

FIRST DAY OF CLASSES! After an introduction to my “Along the Thames” class and theatre class, I ate my sandwich and then ventured to the British Museum just two blocks from the school. Rough Life.

The GST class will be interesting. The theatre class will be perfect. I'll do a post on each class: art, theatre, history and general studies.

It was then back to class from 3:00-5:00 for what will be one of the more entertaining two hours of history. Ever.

Some memorable quotes:
“Rambo is delivering my milk”
“Old men start wars, young men fight them”
“Our ancestors were nasty, brutal and brief. I think I’d rather be soft, lovable and cuddly”

All courtesy of my cockney History teacher. I’ve got plenty more quotes including: “He was a fucking facist and I don’t use that word often.” 

Put it this way: there were the fucking Germans and the fucking Russians. I’ll let you decide which word he chooses selectively.

His stories from his grandfather, family and his own experiences are too wonderful and his insight is so fascinating that many, many more will be shared here for me to remember!

2 comments:

  1. I learned more history in those 2 hours that semester than in my life before. Sean is amazing.

    ReplyDelete